Fire safety is thebiggest concern for any commercial building owner. After all, a fire mishap ina commercial building can not only lead to serious injuries or even deaths. Toa lesser extent, it can result in property loss or ruin crucial records. Thisis why a well-installed fire protection system in NYC is not onlymandatory by the law but also crucial for the safety of the people and theproperty. However, even if a fire protection system is in place, many occupantsfail to use them properly during an emergency.
To ensure the safety ofyour building, there are a few do’s and don’ts that you must follow when itcomes to fire protection in NYC.
There is no denying thefact that fire alarm systems are the first line of defense during a firemishap. They are installed to indicate the occupants of the building about thefire breakout. It also prevents a fire from spreading or becoming out ofcontrol.
- Get your fire alarm systems tested on a regular basis to ensure they are working properly.
- Have an evacuation plan of action if, in case, a fire alarm goes off
- Maintain a record of regular inspection and maintenance activity of fire alarms installed in the building
- Overlook false alarms
- Ignore the importance of scheduling regular inspection and maintenance of fire alarms
After fire alarms comefire extinguishers. As the name suggests, they help in extinguishing fires andpreventing them from spreading. Fire extinguishers are the second mostimportant part of a well-installed fire protection system.
- Check regularly if the extinguishers are in working condition
- Run routine tests on them
- Make sure that the fire extinguishers are kept in an easily accessible place
- Ensure that your staff knows how to use the equipment in case of a fire breakout
- Ignore any possible issues with the system
- Forget to hire fire extinguisher maintenance services
Fire safety signage-
Fire safety signs are animportant part of a fire protection system. It makes your commercial placesafer and also keeps you in compliance with the current legislation.
- Put all relevant safety signs throughout your building
- Make sure the signs are readable and visible
- Ensure they are equipped with proper lighting for better direction
- Fail to install proper lighting with fire safety signs
- Forget to schedule regular inspection and maintenance
Fire safety is notrocket science. But it also not something that should be taken for granted.Following these do’s and don’ts will help you keep your building safe from firemishaps. Also, remember to run a fire drill every now and then to help yourstaff and occupants of the building know what to do during a firebreakout.